Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Swivel sizes/ratings

What size or lb test swivels are you all using for your LPR rockets? I've decided I'd like to try using some on a few of my rockets, and have no idea what size would be appropriate.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooBag
What size or lb test swivels are you all using for your LPR rockets? I've decided I'd like to try using some on a few of my rockets, and have no idea what size would be appropriate.

I usually just buy those multi size wheel packs in the fishing section. I use the smallest for the small rockets and the largest for BT-80 sized rockets, and the others in between. I've had stripped chutes and some broken/burned shock cords the last 30+ years, but I've never had a snap swivel fail. They look puny, so that statistic mildly surprises me. With mid and high power, I've always used quick links, as I just didn't trust any size swivel with heavy and very fast rockets.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

More important than the size (which I usually go with that looks about right) is the construction. The conventional fishing snap swivels that work like a safety pin will come apart at exactly the wrong time. I gave up on those a LONG time ago.

You want ones that look like this:

Look for the names Coastlock or Sampo
Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Rivet Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow

http://www.rocketmaterials.org/data...ivels/index.php
Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc

Interesting, this is EXACTLY what I saw on a rocket flown with an I161-10 that ended up being an I161-2. I had used the same large snap swivel as in this example. The snap tightened like a noose onto the quick link, the shock cord zippered the tube, but the snap did NOT let go.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow
More important than the size (which I usually go with that looks about right) is the construction. The conventional fishing snap swivels that work like a safety pin will come apart at exactly the wrong time. I gave up on those a LONG time ago.

Look for the names Coastlock or Sampo

Hey Bob do you get them local or do you order on-line? I've checked locally and can not find them, I've also looked on-line maybe not in the right places though ? I've never searched by brand name just always looked for cross-lock swivels.

One more thing. Kaplow Klips, do you have a reference to them on-line somewhere? I.E. what gauge brass to use with what motor classes etc.

Jim
Old 01-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
Hey Bob do you get them local or do you order on-line? I've checked locally and can not find them, I've also looked on-line maybe not in the right places though ? I've never searched by brand name just always looked for cross-lock swivels.

Right click and VIEW IMAGE, and you'll see the web site I get them from. It's a kite company, http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Lin...ssories/Swivels will take you right to the page. I've found the small to medium size ones by checking fishing tackle stores, but the larger ones I've only found online.

Again, the key thing to look for is the pigtail at the end of the clip, rather than the straight safety pin style wire. Do **NOT** use any thing that looks like the "safety" swivel on that page. They WILL fail.

Quote:
One more thing. Kaplow Klips, do you have a reference to them on-line somewhere? I.E. what gauge brass to use with what motor classes etc.

http://www.nira-rocketry.org/Document/Phantom4000.pdf includes Kaplow Klip info. Like so many other things, I've used "That Looks About Right" to size them. And you can always use things like fender washers, storm door clips, or other odd hardware store parts if you're not into making your own.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Junior Rocketeer

You can get them in the fishing section as others have said or online.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...tems#itemDetail
Old 01-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

The key feature is the snap style. I'm not sure the ball bearing really helps that much. The regular coast-lock snap swivels at Into The Wind are much less expensive than this Bass item.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Forest Sprite

Both of the items in the two links shown below look like they would be pretty durned strong, judging from the listed test weights. The first kind has sizes that could be used for smaller rockets, and the second for larger model rockets and mid-power rockets.

Link #1

Link #2

I have also bought some of these swivels and also some of these. Both kinds are surprisingly small, considering how strong they are.

Cabela's entire assortment of SPRO swivels, snaps and rings can be browsed from here.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011