Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2009, 08:03 PM
BAR

Ummm... ok. I've used that trick too, pulling air out of a spare tire at 35 PSI to refill my air tank so I can fill a flat tractor tire at 10 PSI. Works ok, but tires don't hold a whole lot of air or much pressure... unless you've got a 10 ply tire that can hold 90 PSI or something, or better yet a semi truck tire that can hold 140 PSI and a WHOLE LOT of air!

Why not just go this route?? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...temnumber=65594 and get it over with?? Buy a couple 98 cent fittings and a hose clamp and convert it over to a dedicated airbrush tank you can refill at any station with air... and you can fill it up to 130 PSI.

Now if you've GOT the special fitting and it's working for you, don't fix what's not broke I guess, but there are easier ways than chasing a special fitting that hasn't been produced in awhile....

Oh, and BTW, setting the can in warm water doesn't 'calm the bubbles down' it heats the propellant gas so that it will boil more easily and help prevent liquid propellant air from coming out, especially at high draw rates... but if you go TOO high, liquid propellant is GOING to come out no matter what you do, pretty much... reduce your air volume coming out the tip to eliminate the 'liquid air' coming out with the gas... but the hot water DOES help considerably! OL JR
Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I've managed to save away a few cans of the old formual Krylon, but I've recently been using Rustoleum Lacquer, and really like it. Bad news -- not much color selection. I've found black, white, and red. The red is really a nice bright red, and the white and black are as good as I've ever used. I'm finding myself wanting to do a lot of rockets in various combinations of 2-3 of these colors!

I experimented with sanding after 24 hours, and no issues. And for recoating, I basically carried them to my basement shop after spraying outside, hung them for maybe 10 minutes, and then went back outside recoated. You gotta love lacquers for their fast drying times. I applied moderate coverage coats, and 3-4 coats was sufficient.

I also saw some lacquer spray cans at Ace Hardware, but have not tried them yet. Both these and the Rustoleum are full size cans. I've seen the array of colors for the little cans of laquer from Testors (Model Masters?), but scared off by the price.

I would like to test the compatibility of them - -having larger cans for basics, and the smaller cans for specialty colors would be nice.

And then when the weather gets really nice, I'm back to trying to master the airbrush.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 02-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

My experience with the new Krylon was mediocre while doing the light coats. I tried to do a heavier final coat to make it look slicker and it liquified all the other light coats and made all the paint run away from the edges.

I love straight lacquor paint. Goes on good, doesn't blush as easily as others, dries fast, smells good (to me).

The Rustoleum lacquer sources I've seen in surrounding towns are about $5 a can. I haven't found any here local. It's pretty expensive until you look at a tiny $5 can of Testor's Italian Red lacquer. I've been looking for an alternative for that expensive little can but nothing I've tried has been anywhere close to it. Maybe the Rustoleum can give it a run for the money. I think it's called Chinese Red. Is this what you've found to be nice and bright?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
My experience with the new Krylon was mediocre while doing the light coats. I tried to do a heavier final coat to make it look slicker and it liquified all the other light coats and made all the paint run away from the edges.

Sounds like you didn't give it a week to get good and hard (or recoat within the 1 hour window). I had this exact problem with one of mine, twice, before I figured it out.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:

I love straight lacquor paint. Goes on good, doesn't blush as easily as others, dries fast, smells good (to me).

The Rustoleum lacquer sources I've seen in surrounding towns are about $5 a can. I haven't found any here local. It's pretty expensive until you look at a tiny $5 can of Testor's Italian Red lacquer. I've been looking for an alternative for that expensive little can but nothing I've tried has been anywhere close to it. Maybe the Rustoleum can give it a run for the money. I think it's called Chinese Red. Is this what you've found to be nice and bright?

I agree on the new Krylon - had issues, but I didn't use it enough to get good at it. Decided not to bother, unless forced to at some point. Like guns and ammo, it is time to stock up on your favorite paint while you can get it!

The smell of lacquer is pleasing to me also, and the smell of butyrate dope takes me back to my childhood, when I brushed it on my rockets ...

Now, regarding the Rustoleum Lacquer, you are right, it is Chinese Red, and the others are just "Black" and "White". Makes me wonder if another red is available, or on the way. I am familiar with Testors Italian Red, and this is a little darker. I'll take a picture tomorrow of a "paint test" rocket with all three colors.

Good news -- I found mine at Hobby Lobby, and that means the $4.99 can can be had for $3 with a 40% off coupon (assuming you have a Hobby Lobby, and they carry this paint...)

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 02-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
Sounds like you didn't give it a week to get good and hard (or recoat within the 1 hour window). I had this exact problem with one of mine, twice, before I figured it out.

It was within the hour. That's why it liquified instead of lifting or some other gory action. The paint stayed smooth, but it ran away from the edges to the point I could see the primer underneath again.

I'll probably start using Wally World white, or possibly the Rustoleum. I guess I'll have to learn to use the airbrush for most colors.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Master Modeler

If your not happy with Krylon paint, contact their customer service department and ask for a refund. If you have your receipt, they will issue you that refund. Get the contact number from off the can.

www.krylon.com
Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
If your not happy with Krylon paint, contact their customer service department and ask for a refund. If you have your receipt, they will issue you that refund. Get the contact number from off the can.

www.krylon.com

I only have the one can. It's not worth the hassle to me, especially since no amount of complaining will make them change back to the old formula, no thanks to the EPA.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
It was within the hour. That's why it liquified instead of lifting or some other gory action. The paint stayed smooth, but it ran away from the edges to the point I could see the primer underneath again.

THAT just sounds defective. Not the reliquification, but the running away from the edges. I'd contact Krylon.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 02-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Master Modeler

I have a nice stock of old Krylon paint. When this runs out I will use the lacquer spray paint. Most of my vintage Estes rockets are either white, black or red. For the other colors I am thinking of using Tamiya synthetic lacquers. I have used these for plastic models and they are great, but they are expensive. I figure that I spend a lot of money on vintage kits so I don't mind spending the money on a good quality paint.