Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 01:42 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation New riff on old(?) design -- Perpetrator

As you all know, I'm pretty much incapable of leaving well enough alone.

So I was looking at the Semroc version of the FSI Penetrator, and really liking the colors, but I thought the shape wasn't quite right. So I thought I'd do my own little riff on it, and WOW those deployment velocities are amazing!

The only drawback is I don't think there's enough room for the parachute in the real world.

But *look* at those Dv's!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Penetrator-lg.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  66.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Perpetrator_00.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  58.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Perpetrator_01.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  121.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Perpetrator_02.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  140.5 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Perpetrator.rkt (74.4 KB, 102 views)
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 03-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Master Modeler

Sweet!
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:22 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy

You also seem to be incapable of designing a rocket with just one body tube size, not that I'm complaining.

Quote:
The only drawback is I don't think there's enough room for the parachute in the real world.

If there's not enough room in the world for your parachute, I think your parachute is just *slightly* too big!
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:09 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:

So I was looking at the Semroc version of the FSI Penetrator, and really liking the colors, but I thought the shape wasn't quite right. So I thought I'd do my own little riff on it, and WOW those deployment velocities are amazing!

But *look* at those Dv's!!!

Reminds me more of the FSI Nova with Penetrator fins .....

In the real world FSI would have had a hollow transition like in the Nova kit so space wouldn't be a problem. To build it have Sandman make the transition out of hardwood or basswood and you are set .....

Of course that will throw your perfect DV's right out the window

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation Perpetrator ~1.41X upscale

Well, if an ST-8 doesn't have enough room for a parachute and recovery innards, I'll just make it BIGGER! Here you go: ST-7 and 8 upscaled to ST-10 and -13. Although I'm still using the standard-size Penetrator fin set.

The proportions aren't quite the same, but the performance is strikingly similar, as far as deployment velocities go.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Perpetrator_141X_02.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  140.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Perpetrator_141X_01.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  121.3 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Perpetrator_141X.rkt (74.5 KB, 125 views)
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

03 Sept 2014
Old 03-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Just another BAR!

Question

Jay,

Both designs look great!

In order to make room for the chute on the first - could you go with nose cone vs transition separation? To do this you would need to hollow out the transition as was already mentioned.

To simulate this in Rocksim you could create a custom bulkhead (same material as transition) the length and diameter of the hollowed out space. Get the mass for this component. (This component can then be deleted as it was just used to calculate mass.) You could then modify the transition using mass override feature to remove (subtract) mass of hollowed out section. You could save it as a custom hollowed transition.

Did any of that make sense?

... Bill
Old 03-07-2009, 12:06 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
...To simulate this in Rocksim you could create a custom bulkhead (same material as transition) the length and diameter of the hollowed out space. Get the mass for this component. (This component can then be deleted as it was just used to calculate mass.) You could then modify the transition using mass override feature to remove (subtract) mass of hollowed out section...

Or, you could just tell RockSim to set the CORE diameter to whatever you want...

Like this... (See Attached)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Hollow Transition.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  46.5 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Hollow Transition.rkt (9.5 KB, 71 views)

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Just another BAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Or, you could just tell RockSim to set the CORE diameter to whatever you want...

Yeah, I guess I was making that more difficult than it needed to be!

... Bill
Old 03-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking Behind the scenes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
You also seem to be incapable of designing a rocket with just one body tube size, not that I'm complaining.
That's because I find rockets with just one body tube, well, *more* than a little boring. ...as is apparently quite obvious.

Quote:
If there's not enough room in the world for your parachute, I think your parachute is just *slightly* too big!
Which reminded me of the old Sherwin Williams Paint logo, with the motto, "We cover the earth."

And my overobservant TV reporter senses asked, "HEY! That's RED paint! --Is this a Communist plot to take over the world?!? (mock sobbing) My God, look what they've done with the Western Hemisphere? Now none of the little trees and flowers and animals and people can even *breathe* anymore, because they're covered with *paint*..." (dissolving into incoherence)

--Okay, that was a *little* melodramatic, but my girls are 11 (today!), 12, and 40-something...

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Sherwin_Williams_Paint_Logo.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  266.7 KB  
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

03 Sept 2014
Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Which reminded me of the old Sherwin Williams Paint logo, with the motto, "We cover the earth."

And my overobservant TV reporter senses asked, "HEY! That's RED paint! --Is this a Communist plot to take over the world?!? (mock sobbing) My God, look what they've done with the Western Hemisphere? Now none of the little trees and flowers and animals and people can even *breathe* anymore, because they're covered with *paint*..." (dissolving into incoherence)

--Okay, that was a *little* melodramatic, but my girls are 11 (today!), 12, and 40-something...

"We were climbing a hill and a truck topped it and came barreling down toward us. It was on the wrong side of the road. I swerved to avoid it, but it swerved, too. At the very last instant, I had to go off the road, onto the soft shoulder to my left, and head close to the edge of the canal in order to avoid a collision.

"To my right, the truck screeched to a halt. I tried to pull off the shoulder and back onto the road, but we were stuck in the soft soil.

"Then I heard a door slam, and saw that the driver had climbed down from the right side of the cab, which meant that he probably was driving on the proper side of the road after all, and we were in the wrong. I was sure that nowhere in the States did traffic flow in a British manner, but I was certain by this time that we had long ago left the Earth that I knew.

"The truck was a tanker. It said ZUNOCO on the side in big, blood-red letters, and beneath this was the motto 'Wee covir the werld.' The driver covered me with abuse, as I stepped out, rounded the car, and began apologizing. He was as big as I was, and built like a beer barrel, and he carried a jack handle in one hand."

from Nine Princes In Amber, by Roger Zelazny
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!