Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garoq
Any interest in AeroTech bringing back the 'B' and 'C' reloads for the RMS-18/20 case?
Keep it simple - make them all long delays. It's easy enough to trim them shorter. But it's frustrating reaching in your stash and pulling out a reload only to find you have too-short a delay.

Doug

YORF member #11

Last edited by Doug Sams : 04-18-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Master Modeler

I have never flown composite motors, but something like this - a B or C 18mm motor - that I could fly comfortably in an existing rocket - would be the most tempting way for me to try it.

Added: Your comment just below is telling - and it needs to be a "per flight" cost, not just a per reload cartridge cost. I'm willing to amortize the cost of the reloadable case over, say, 10 flights but the operating cost - the reload cartridge plus the igniter - needs to be very much in the ballpark with at least hobby shop prices of BP motors.

On valuerockets.com the E reloads for the 18x70mm case are already less expensive that E BP motors in the hobby shop but at $1.66 per launch for the related igniters that falls apart....
Old 04-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
the premium on composites would help pay production and development... heck even if they sold at a premium above 'normal' C-D-E 18mm composites, I'm sure there would be folks who'd buy them...

I think they would need to be priced lower than equivalent black powder motors to gain wider acceptance. When they were first introduced they did not sell well, probably due to the higher cost of the hardware and other factors.
http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AeroT...ce/159005948954
Old 04-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Craftsman

Long burn B's would be great.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:20 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Any interest in AeroTech bringing back the 'B' and 'C' reloads for the RMS-18/20 case?

I had to use the RMS D13-4W on an Estes Mercury Redstone (it looked great but was too heavy to fly on a C6). At a launch I had some help on how to put it together. It launched great with good recovery and I have been hooked on AeroTech composites ever since for my heavy or large model rockets.

I would be interested in C12's and C18's, if that were possible, with a regressive thrust curve. Great boost off the rod but with a reasonable expectation that you will get the rocket back. Then I would be more likely to launch the modrocs on these. For sales, altitude and speed comparisons with a typical BP motor on your average modroc.

If any of you haven't tried composites then you are missing out on a lot of fun.

Here is a just for fun question: What if an Estes Rascal had an ALL IN load of Warp-9 in an 18/20 case?

Greg
Old 04-18-2009, 04:34 PM
B.A.R.

You definitely could find a market for something like an 18mm C12 (high thrust short duration) reload with short time delay for use in Outlander, Mars Lander, and Space Shuttle models. Even say a B12 with a short time delay too. At the other end of the spectrum an 18mm E/D long burn motor for those lighter smaller models. And then you can add in the more normal motor sizes. I have no experience with composite reload motors, but I would definitely get an RMS-18/20 case if I could get a C12-3 reload. Then who knows what I might get once I take the initial first step.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Rivet Counter

Not just yes, but HELL YES!

And I'll second Indy's request for long burns.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Paper Rocketeer

I, too, would love to see at least the return of the 18mm C reloads. I don't have a case yet (just got a 24 but haven't tried it yet - been too darn busy with other stuff) but I would definitely invest in one if the B and C reloads were added to the list.

On a side note, not really that related to this question, but something I've been wondering: Is there a reason that the new Mohave Green propellant is only available in 29mm G or higher? Is it possible to make 24mm reloads with the stuff?

Just curious.

Greg
Old 04-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Gary,

Thank you for bringing this question before this august body.

As a long time sport and contest flyer, I can see an arguement between long burn and fast burn motors. Having lost an 18mm RMS motor at the last NARAM (and purchasing a replacement at Value Rockets) I can see the advantages and disadvantages of long burn motors for duration events. I believe that the high-thrust fast burn motors are a better market. As other members have responded, having a really nice C motor for those heavier models would be great. I think the B impulse market would be more "iffy".
I am sure that you will look at the currrent market and blend that in to the business model.
Another decision is whether you want to market B and C 18mm reloads to the general market with a NAR safety certification or go for contest certification. The latter would require set delays, in deference to my friend Doug Sams asking for a delay that one could drill.
All that said, I can only add, yes please.

Chas
Old 04-18-2009, 06:36 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
It's possible that an endburning 'D' could be produced in booster and one time delay variations.

I would purchase the RMS-18/20 for this reason. And for the E load for that motor as GH mentioned.

I don't sweat the hardware cost. I'll be buying the RMS-24/60 motor soon and there's only the F35 available for it at present. However it's one of the few loads offered with an 11 sec. delay and I have use for that in lighter rockets.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 04-18-2009 at 10:37 PM.