Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 04:34 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
I was one of those who 'fondled' the protoype motors at NARAM 50's vendor forum (Bill's words!). They will of course need to be certified, and I am sure that the motors would need to be stockpiled/warehoused for a number of reasons, most retail oriented. I was just wonderng if anyone has heard anything new oin the possible release date.... no conspiracies.

What worries me is that both the EF will require FedEx HAZMAT shipping..can't be shipped ground parcel USPS.

Now that the NAR is flush with cash, perhaps its time they and the manufacturers unite to raise the USPS limit to 62.5g from its curent 30g.

That would go a long way towards making BP EF cheap and plentiful. It would take years probably, but now would be a good time to start.

I emailed Quest Customer Service about a wek ago asking when and if about these engines and they said no idea.

terry dean
Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
What worries me is that both the EF will require FedEx HAZMAT shipping..can't be shipped ground parcel USPS.

Now that the NAR is flush with cash, perhaps its time they and the manufacturers unite to raise the USPS limit to 62.5g from its curent 30g.
terry dean

Mark Bundick specifically stated he had no interest in such a plan and stated NAR is not a trade association.

The things that would be helpful IMHO would be to have the CPSC, TPD, and USPS limits unified and increased to the FAA, NAR, and NFPA model rocket limit of 125g per grain segment.

Furthermore propellants which are not "explosives", should not be shipped as explosives, either by DOT means or by USPS means. That would possibly open up international shipping of model rockets as well. The only reason DOT classifies our slow burning solids as explosives is they claim they are for "pyrotechnic display". That is not technically accurate. They are Technical articles for the purpose of performing work and contain a flammable solid, if it burns above 22mm/sec and is an unregulated plastic if it burns under that.

DOT uses an undefined term in TB-700.2 to incorrectly shoehorn Technical articles into the Pyrotechnic display class. Gee, DOT would not be acting like ATF on the regulatory writing and interpreting front, would they?

Given most shipments of consumer rockets contain under 25 KG net per box and there has never been an incident, one would think a class of goods could be arrived at with negotiation with DOT and the Obama administration, their boss, to arrive at a commercially satisfactory compromise.

The current system crushes small business and schools.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 04-23-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Don't give up! - they're real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
Has anyone hard anything lately about the big (28-29mm) BP motors that Bill Stine presented at NARAM 50? I built a BT-70 upscale Sky Raider for them , but haven't heard anything in a while. I am itchin' to fly.....

Phred

The economy has played a small role in their delay. Fourth quarter "08 was way off and we backed off pouring any more money into their release. Once the dust settled, our first quarter has been the strongest in over three years. So I am proceeding with caution. The D5's and D8's are awaiting EX numbers. If the planets all align we should be shipping these by NARAM. I hope the E's and F's will be shipping this fall. We will be shipping the Big Dog, Mean Green, and Grunt in late June along with a series of engine mount kits to fit a variety of tube sizes (yes... the kits will ship before the engines).

Why the grouped releases? Easy, the D's have less than 30grams of propellant and can ship as 1.4 - The E's and F's will ship as 1.3 and need an entire new set of master cartons tested and certified (adding additional logistics and cost to their release).

We're also trying to perfect a method to get a higher initial flight velocity for the E's and F's.

FYI - on a related note - we're also waiting US DOT EX numbers for a new 8 inch length Q2G2 igniter.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Not much chance for ORM-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
I don't claim to know what the actual delay is, but they would need DOT approvals, and more difficult, product specific packaging approvals. It may be the packaging approvals must preceed the DOT approvals who also approves the packaging. There is also a strong possibility he made so many in advance because he intends to get lower level approvals through TESTING vs "by analogy".

If he successfully achieves ORM-D through testing, that would be a truly great thing.

Jerry

I can tell you that Quest has a very good working rleationship with the DOT and the Explosives Bureau. And this is not likely to yield an ORM-D designation in our lifetime... Yes, the logical argument can be made for this classification - and if it were obtained it would open up incredible new vistas and opportunities to grow this hobby.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocketeer "II"
The D5's and D8's are awaiting EX numbers.
Thanks for the update, Bill.

BTW, you are already shipping D5's. Does this imply you have some (non-plugged) variants coming?

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-24-2009, 10:37 AM
GET GOONY!!

Thanls so much Bill,

I really look forward to all of the new motors, as well as the new kits.

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:55 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I for one think there are WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too many shipping regs in our country and quite frankly I think about 95% of ALL of them should be scrapped along with allowing the CARRIER that owns their business to regulate them HOWEVER THEY EACH SEE FIT as long as the carrier is not shipping stuff aboard airlines containing actual human passengers. They own the business and the means to transport them and it should be up to THEM to decide how they are handled, PERIOD.
Gov't intrusion into shipping of goods is about as worthwhile as taking a bowlin' bawl into the woods deer hunting !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Thanks for the update, Bill.

BTW, you are already shipping D5's. Does this imply you have some (non-plugged) variants coming?

Doug

Yes, D5-4 and D5-6 - they are a HOOT to fly !
Old 04-24-2009, 11:49 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Gov't intrusion into shipping of goods is about as worthwhile as taking a bowlin' bawl into the woods deer hunting !

Surely you know that one of the Constitutionally-mandated responsibilities of the US federal government is the regulation of interstate commerce.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Launching since 1970.

http://simplythebest.net/sounds/WAV...les/shirley.wav

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Surely you know that one of the Constitutionally-mandated responsibilities of the US federal government is the regulation of interstate commerce.