Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks for the advice. I will wait for the Semroc version. They must be reading my mind, because the day after I decided to build a clone Der V-3, they had the die-cut fins and all th e part on their web site!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by timster68
Thanks for the advice. I will wait for the Semroc version. They must be reading my mind, because the day after I decided to build a clone Der V-3, they had the die-cut fins and all th e part on their web site!

Oh, I didn't know about that; maybe I'll check it out shortly. Wonder if they were able to solve the corrugated paper pattern issues? Was told this was part of the holdup in the kits' release. We'll see shortly.....
Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Master Modeler

If you buy a kit on Ebay remember to check it for completeness soon after receipt. I know that probably goes without saying, but I got a little lazy with a 2001 kit I bought.

There was no set of white plastic parts included, so no tower or doo dads that decorate the body of the rocket with details. Unfortunately, it has been about eight months since I bought it so the description isn't even around for me to check whether the seller claimed it was complete or something he found in an attic somewhere.

The bright side is that I won it for under $90 and it include five capsules--yes five. No towers, but five capsules. And five sets of the F1 nozzles that go on display base. Plus some of the body tubes were doubled up. I really wish the item description was still around. I'm curious to see what I thought I was buying at the time.

On the other hand, the two K-36s I bought are correct and complete. Just got around to checking them all a couple weeks ago. Too bad neither one had an extra tower in it. :-)
Old 07-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Has anyone built the 1/100th scale Sat V's with scale fins and F-1 nozzles in place during flight? If so, how did you handle stability?

Gene DiGennaro
Baltimore, Md.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by genedig65
Has anyone built the 1/100th scale Sat V's with scale fins and F-1 nozzles in place during flight? If so, how did you handle stability?

Gene DiGennaro
Baltimore, Md.

I'll be doing that to my K-36 model. Only difference is I can only use the four outboard nozzles (made an error when I had the centering rings made; the location of the holes are too close to the center - my mistake). Will definitely use clear slip on fins (the ones that come from the Centuri vintage Saturn - V kit) but make sure the model's balance point is at the correct position.

We're hoping to have the launch this coming Saturday (July 11th), but almost all of the Texas area is under a burn ban due to the extreme hot weather and little (or no) rain we've had over the past few months. A lot of grass fires (and a few home's) caught on fire recently, especially during the 4th of July festivities. We'll see in a few days......
Old 07-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Searching the 'net says stay with the oversized fins.

So, if I'm using the F-1 nozzles and non-scale fins, is the CP location still going to need to be about 13 inches from the end of the S-IC? Or does this location need to change since the overall length of the model has changed?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by genedig65
Has anyone built the 1/100th scale Sat V's with scale fins and F-1 nozzles in place during flight? If so, how did you handle stability?.

If you build it with F1 nozzles in place, how do you do that? Specifically, what do you use for the F1 nozzles? The display nozzles with the tops drilled out?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Junior Rocketeer

My intention is to permanently affix four of the five F-1 nozzles in their outboard locations, then reposition the motor mount such that it extends into the space occupied by the center F-1. I don't think I'll place a dummy nozzle over the center motor mount. I'll probably just paint the motor mount silver. An E15 would be my engine of choice.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:59 PM
BAR and son

Does anyone know where I can find a set of plans for an Estes Saturn V #2001?
I tried to print the plans on JimZ and for whatever reason, when I went to print all I got were blank pages.

Help!