Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 02:07 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperdue
You mean they wouldn't interrupt the schedule of the President of the United States and fly in John Glenn and the crew of Apollo 11 so you could launch a model rocket for them?!? Words cannot convey the depth of my shock at their response...

Well, at least the "Rocket Doctor" sat down and took the time to convey an idea he had.

You however seem to have the time to sit down and insult a fellow forum member just because he had a wish and asked if it could be fulfilled. It doesn't matter how farfetched it may be.
There is nothing wrong with asking questions. It's a hell off a lot better than doing nothing.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 07-16-2009, 05:25 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Well, at least the "Rocket Doctor" sat down and took the time to convey an idea he had.

You however seem to have the time to sit down and insult a fellow forum member just because he had a wish and asked if it could be fulfilled. It doesn't matter how farfetched it may be.
There is nothing wrong with asking questions. It's a hell off a lot better than doing nothing.

It's actually called sarcasm and I believe it to have been appropriately applied in this case. RD's idea required that the most powerful man in the free world and four of the most famous astronauts of all time be on hand at the White House so he could launch a rocket for them. A simple reality check would have given him a 99.9% probability of the outcome. While you guys pursue you far-fetched ideas I'll stick with re-opening closed launch sites, editing the NAR Guidebook and doing make-n-take events with the scouts and day camps. My approach my not be as glamorous but I'm reaching a lot of new fliers every year.

Mario
Old 07-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperdue
You mean they wouldn't interrupt the schedule of the President of the United States and fly in John Glenn and the crew of Apollo 11 so you could launch a model rocket for them?!? Words cannot convey the depth of my shock at their response...

Apparently the space program isn't on the short list. I haven't even heard mention of the 40th anniversary coming from the White House.

I sent an email three months ago, and, a info packet that took a month to go through security, even after that, no go.

So, what does this tell you about the future of the space program?

FYI
I did get an email back from the scheduling dept turning me down........
Old 07-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Apparently the space program isn't on the short list. I haven't even heard mention of the 40th anniversary coming from the White House.

I sent an email three months ago, and, a info packet that took a month to go through security, even after that, no go.

So, what does this tell you about the future of the space program?

FYI
I did get an email back from the scheduling dept turning me down........

I think it's too soon to know if it's a good or bad thing. I hope this administration values the space program - after all they're throwing huge sums of money at everything else. The fact that the White House wasn't interested in your idea doesn't mean you can't launch a Saturn V model in celebration.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Master Modeler

Unfortunately, were I am living now is all trees, very little room to launch anything. If I launch my Saturn V, it will be next month at Orangeburg, at the ROSCO launch on Aug 8th and 9th.

At least, it's a sod farm with plenty of room.

I was hoping that the current administration would be in favor of it, to inspire our youth today into a fun and worthwhile activity, let alone the science nature of it all.

I haven't even heard one mention about the anniversary coming out of the White House, but, the local news gave a very brief mention.

I have heard more about John McCartney of the Beatles and their 45 anniversary at the David Letterman studio, former home of Ed Sullivan, gong back to 1964.

Strike up the band.....................
Old 07-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Unfortunately, were I am living now is all trees, very little room to launch anything. If I launch my Saturn V, it will be next month at Orangeburg, at the ROSCO launch on Aug 8th and 9th.

At least, it's a sod farm with plenty of room.

I was hoping that the current administration would be in favor of it, to inspire our youth today into a fun and worthwhile activity, let alone the science nature of it all.

I haven't even heard one mention about the anniversary coming out of the White House, but, the local news gave a very brief mention.

I have heard more about John McCartney of the Beatles and their 45 anniversary at the David Letterman studio, former home of Ed Sullivan, gong back to 1964.

A decent sized Southern rural yard is about all it takes for a Saturn V on a single D12-3 if you have calm air. They only hit 120-150 ft. I could easily launch and recover one on a Little League field (200 ft fence) or 1/2 of a football field, which would be about 150 sq ft. A full sized baseball or football field would be gravy. Have a look around and see if you can find a spot to "get your fix" for an Apollo 11 anniversary launch.

(btw, it's Paul)
Old 07-16-2009, 04:10 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
... I have heard more about John McCartney of the Beatles and their 45 anniversary at the David Letterman studio, former home of Ed Sullivan, gong back to 1964.

[To the tune of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band]

It was forty years ago today
It thundered off from 39A

Old 07-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
A decent sized Southern rural yard is about all it takes for a Saturn V on a single D12-3 if you have calm air. They only hit 120-150 ft. I could easily launch and recover one on a Little League field (200 ft fence) or 1/2 of a football field, which would be about 150 sq ft. A full sized baseball or football field would be gravy. Have a look around and see if you can find a spot to "get your fix" for an Apollo 11 anniversary launch.

(btw, it's Paul)

My problem is the 54 acres of heavily wooded property, we tried to launch Diana's Golden scout, from the driveway on a 1/2A6-2, lost it, it went into the trees and would couldn't find it for several weeks, one day, while walking up the driveway, I saw the gold glistening in the woods, yup, it was her GS. A little weather beaten up, but, we fixed it up and it's now on display.

There is a very small ball field closeby, but, kids were hanging out there causing trouble, now, it's locked up tighter than a drum.

I guess it will be August 8th and 9th at Orangeburg.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Forest Sprite

Well, the only Saturn V's that I have that are ready to launch are my two Quest Micromaxx RTF Saturn V's. So I will get those out and launch them. I have actually had good luck with the one that I have flown so far - it has always boosted straight and recovered fine. I haven't seen the stability problems that others have mentioned, but if I do, I'll add the clear plastic fin strakes that Micromeister has described in the past. I have a Dr. Zooch Sat V on order, but it hasn't arrived yet. On Saturday (if weather cooperates) my club will be having it's Apollo 11 memorial sport launch. Think I can build a Dr. Z Saturn V in one day (assuming that it arrives tomorrow)? For the launch, we are encouraged to bring any models from any phase of the Space Race, but I'm kicking myself now because I don't have a single one. (I also have a Quest Micromaxx Little Joe II, but I have to replace a fin on it. I can't believe that I'm actually considering doing that.) I'm only just now getting into building scale rockets, in what is turning out to be a year late. Oh well, there will be more 40th anniversaries coming up in the next couple of years. In light of my late start at this, though, maybe what I should build is a Soviet N1 - yeah, that would fit in just fine, time-wise.

I have a Semroc Saturn 1B kit and a Semroc Little Joe II kit, but I haven't started either one yet. Time to move them up in the build pile.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 07-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
[To the tune of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band]

It was forty years ago today
It thundered off from 39A

Wasn't it George Starkey that sang that one? :-)

Hmm ... "In The Year 2525" by Zager & Evans was at the top of the Billboard charts on July 20, 1969. I was hoping it was a song by the Beatles ... or at least a song that wasn't the worst hit song of 1969.

Oh, I just remembered I have a Dr. Zooch Saturn V kit on the shelf. Maybe I can build it this weekend and fly it in time for the anniversary of the landing at least.

-- Roger