Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Scott,

Your work is entirely too neat and well crafted. You're making the rest of us look bad. What's wrong with doing something cheap and ugly, like this? Doug

The only problem is that you put more thought into mounting your camera than I did using this method:

:-)

Kidding aside, Rokitflite's doing an incredible job.

-- Roger
Old 10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Scott,

Your work is entirely too neat and well crafted. You're making the rest of us look bad. What's wrong with doing something cheap and ugly, like this? Doug

What!!!

No duct tape?

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 10-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Master Modeler

Well... I DO use a piece of electrical tape to hold the camera in place
Old 10-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Well... I DO use a piece of electrical tape to hold the camera in place

I have a 6-foot long, 4-inch diameter rocket that carries one or two video cameras at a time. I built a mount for the cameras that includes a shroud over each of them. During one flight, the recovery system fouled swinging the rocket around quickly. Somehow, the video camera was flung free of the rocket (via a hole that, I swear, is too small for it to fit through). It fell 700 feet to the ground and, fortunately, was undamaged.

Anyway, my point is that now I wrap a loop or two of electrical tape around the camera in addition to using the mechanism I developed for holding it in the camera. I don't think it's going to accidently come out again.

-- Roger
Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Scott,

Look at it this way Doug... You probably get WAY more stuff done than I do because of my "over-doing" personality .

My home computer is about to get the boot, so I can't post pictures from here. SO, before the build thread is done, and thanks to KevinJ, here are the first two videos taken from the camera... BT-50 booster, first with a B4-4, then with a C6-5:

1st flight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csD1qS7Fts8
2nd flight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9qugHD7m4Y
Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

OK, I'm dizzy.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 10-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Not so Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
OK, I'm dizzy.

In looking at the boosts from all the rockets that Scott flew the camera on (since it can fit anything with a BT-50 or anything that can fit a BT-50 adaptor), he really can put fins on straight.

kj
Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Craftsman

The video quality is pretty amazing for such a small camera. I could see the plug bounce of the blast deflector!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Look at it this way Doug... You probably get WAY more stuff done than I do because of my "over-doing" personality .
I imagine that "over-doing" thing is pretty common amongst this bunch. It seems to dove-tail with the personality types involved in rocketry.

Being a bit serious for a moment, I've learned a lot thru my indulgences of excess design/build/finish. That is, I learn what extra steps bring extra return and what steps are a waste of time. So over a long period, of say several comparable projects, be they rockets or speaker enclosures or custom car stereo setups, putting in the extra time and effort on those many details results in a great deal of knowledge - wisdom - of what works well and what doesn't.

So no one should beat themselves up about the practice of perfectionism. As long as they're enjoying the building process, then it's not "over-doing" - it's fun.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I imagine that "over-doing" thing is pretty common amongst this bunch. It seems to dove-tail with the personality types involved in rocketry.

Being a bit serious for a moment, I've learned a lot thru my indulgences of excess design/build/finish. That is, I learn what extra steps bring extra return and what steps are a waste of time. So over a long period, of say several comparable projects, be they rockets or speaker enclosures or custom car stereo setups, putting in the extra time and effort on those many details results in a great deal of knowledge - wisdom - of what works well and what doesn't.

So no one should beat themselves up about the practice of perfectionism. As long as they're enjoying the building process, then it's not "over-doing" - it's fun.

Doug

Thanks Doug *sniff* that was beautiful ... Hey... Could you post a bigger picture of your avatar? I am positive I am not seeing it correctly. Being of the Afro-American persuasion, I see what almost looks like a hat worn by folks that engage in the activity of burning things OTHER than rocket motors in front yards .