Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Anything that Estes/Cox claims is "coming" for the past several years has more often than not ended in disappointment or arrived several YEARS late.
Whenever they announce ANYTHING, I believe it when I have the actual production item in my hands.
Otherwise I write it off as likely "vaporware" !
They just don't get the concept of "UNDER-promise, yet OVER-deliver"; they do the opposite which quite frankly is a hideous way to do business.
SOP for that company is to deliver production items extremely late if at all.
There is another company in the industry that in my book is getting close to approaching this level of "nuisance" announcements as well.
All very true, but commenting favorably on an announcement on a rocketry forum doesn't cost anything. You can't buy a kit or a motor that doesn't exist, so you don't lose any money if no product is ever actually released. There is no harm in merely expressing interest; when or if the product ever reaches the shelves, then you can evaluate it and decide whether or not you want to buy it.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Hooked Badly

He didn't say which year.....

Old 10-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Master of the Universe

Default C-11's?

Hmm,so the C-11 is what you want for a quick,low-altitude boost in a D-powered rocket? Cool,I'll have to pick some up. You'll recall I like the low-and-slow approach,just like my highly successful Double Fat Boy launch,that proved that some were completely right,and others were proven horribly wrong...
Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 AM
young man but an old hand

Send a message via MSN to AFlyingMonkey

just call me Blue Boy, I'm going to hold my breath until it happens.

I've been hearing about the A8-0's for a while, and with the limited access to the C11-3s my fiberglass egglofter is going up on the shelf until i need a D contestant.

Still I'd love to see the A8-0, they haven't been out in my lifetime for what I understand, and with me building an up scaled beta, the A8-0 would be perfect. But I lived in MO for way too long, show-me. I have to see in order to believe here.

Too late, I'm here......
Old 10-30-2009, 10:02 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The A8-0 and A10-0T were announced as "coming soon" when they announced they would come out with the "classic series" of re-issue kits.
Their LAME excuse of the "lead law" causing them to delay the "classic series" has absolutely ZERO to do with their ability to produce the A8-0 and A10-0T engines.
Any excuse regarding these not being in hands and on shelves is pure unadulterated BUNK.
The response FROM EVERYONE that Estes deserves to this excuse for delays in the re-release of these booster motors is "Don't gimme any of that GUFF !"
I'll believe it when I have them in my hand and not until.

I just wish we had another source of reasonably priced SU BP engines that came with some sort of variety of choices, not just the same ol' A8-3, B6-4, C6-5 offerings.
I'll get off the soapbox now; I fly more 18, 24, and 29mm RMS now than anything else anyway.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 10-30-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Junior Rocketeer

I need C11-5's for my BMS Viking, so this is good news.

I hope both Quest and Estes come out with big BP motors.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee
Hmm,so the C-11 is what you want for a quick,low-altitude boost in a D-powered rocket? Cool,I'll have to pick some up. You'll recall I like the low-and-slow approach,just like my highly successful Double Fat Boy launch,that proved that some were completely right,and others were proven horribly wrong...
You are going to just keep rubbing that in, aren't you... As I recall, you DID ask for opinions... (while initially providing just sketchy, incomplete information). So we were punked. But that's OK, I'm a good sport.

C11-0's give lower boosts than D12-0's, but there is nothing slow about them. A C11 will stage at somewhere around 250 ft., vs. 400 ft. or more for the D.

I'm not looking for low and slow with the C11, just something that is not so stratospheric. I flew my Echo-1 at NARAM-51 on D12-0/C11-7 combination. It was just a speck when it staged, and the sustainer quickly disappeared into the clouds. Fortunately, a few tense seconds later, we saw it drop back out of the cloud cover under 'chute, and I tracked it most of the way back down. I was able to find it about 1/2 mile away after searching for about 45 minutes. It was a thrilling flight for sure, but I don't think that I will get another opportunity to launch in such a large field again, with so many eyes to help track it, anytime soon. So yeah, I'm hoping to get my hands on some C11-0's in order to get in somewhat less hand-wringing, nail-biting flights.

MarkII

P.S. "Highly successful?" I thought that you told us that the sustainer tipped at staging and flew a ballistic trajectory. But yeah, it deployed the parachute above the ground, so it was successful. BTW, have you flown it anymore with that same motor configuration since that one time?
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011

Last edited by Mark II : 10-31-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

try launching in a baseball park surrounded by trees, it's a slim chance it'll ever come back
Old 10-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
I flew my Echo-1 at NARAM-51 on D12-0/C11-7 combination. It was just a speck when it staged, and the sustainer quickly disappeared into the clouds.
Dang, Mark, you went large on the motor mount substitution. When I build my Echo-1 kit, I replaced the stock 22mm (IIRC) tubes with 18mm. I didn't even consider 24

As an aside, when I replaced the original rings, I was surprised how sloppily the CR20-55 rings fit into the BT-55 tubes. I had to add a couple wraps of tape (as I recall) to get the rings to fit better. It was only later that I realized the tubes weren't BT-55 and that FSI used ST-13 (aka BT-56).

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 10-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Dazed and Confused

It was a windy day. He should have launched in calm air.

As for slow, Mark's right. The C11 is a kick in the pants compared to the C6. The spike is only 8 newtons short of the D12 (~22 vs ~30). The D12's sustaining thrust is almost three times longer. The C11's work is done in eight tenths of a second, where the D12 goes on for over a second and a half. The C6 actually burns longer than a D12.