Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 AM
Maker of Shiny things

Default Clustering ignition , lets get real

Everywhere i read , it is reccomended to use a "Car Battery" for cluster ignition. Granted this is probally a gaurenteed way to assure you get a good crisp ignition.
In messing around i fired 2 igniters off of the POS estes 4 aa battery rig , which worked fine . and im sure after 2-3 trys it would not
I really dont feel like lugging a car battery around and was thinking of just using some 9.6 (or whatever the RC NiCads ) are these days .
Or another thing i had pondered was taking the cordless flash light , that came with my Drill and converting that. Just make a custom light connecter , dont even have to destroy it

Im just looking for an easy way to bring a controller out

Moderen rechargeables can dump a **** ton of current to the point of being one of the most controlled items for air shipping , fedex is terrified of them .

Thoughts Ideas and general Harassment welcomed
Old 01-31-2010, 08:57 AM
Dazed and Confused

The problem with 4AA batteries is that you will often get one to ignite a fraction of a second before the other, causing ignition failiure on the second one. Also, if you try to cluster more than two motors, you often won't have enough juice to get even one to ignite, much less all three or four to ignite simultaneously.

You don't need a car battery, but a 12v source is much more reliable. Lawnmower batteries, hobby gel cells, 12v and 18v drill packs, 10 cell ni-cad and nimh RC packs, etc. all will do an admirable job on clusters and are much more portable than a car battery once it leaves the car.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

One often neglected source of lots of voltage is an old rechargable screwdriver ni-cad battery.

I have I think 4 of the 18v units for a bunch of tools.

It wouldn't be hard to make something to use all of that power.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjammer53150
Everywhere i read , it is reccomended to use a "Car Battery" for cluster ignition. Granted this is probally a gaurenteed way to assure you get a good crisp ignition.
In messing around i fired 2 igniters off of the POS estes 4 aa battery rig , which worked fine . and im sure after 2-3 trys it would not
I really dont feel like lugging a car battery around and was thinking of just using some 9.6 (or whatever the RC NiCads ) are these days .
Or another thing i had pondered was taking the cordless flash light , that came with my Drill and converting that. Just make a custom light connecter , dont even have to destroy it

Im just looking for an easy way to bring a controller out

Moderen rechargeables can dump a **** ton of current to the point of being one of the most controlled items for air shipping , fedex is terrified of them .

Thoughts Ideas and general Harassment welcomed

The Quest Q2G2 igniter is excellent for clusters, but you must use the Quest Launch Controller as the voltage is different, but very, very reliable.

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 01-31-2010, 11:54 AM
TARGET GSTL!

Two rechargeable 7.2 volt NiCd packs (the kind they make for R/C cars) will be MORE than adequate.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay
Two rechargeable 7.2 volt NiCd packs (the kind they make for R/C cars) will be MORE than adequate.

And for REALLY MORE than adequate, I lug around a Black & Decker jumpstarter. It has an auto power port (aka cig. lighter socket) that I plug my Pratt GObox into. Also has some other features which may be of use out on the range, and I have absolutely no worries about running out of juice.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Launching since 1970.

A Quest controller with the EBC (External Battery Connector) will work great for clusters. It does not draw much current when the safety key is inserted for continuity check (10 ma) but when you hit the launch button it dumps as much sa the battery can supply through the not-too-thin wires (they seem to be thicker than Estes wires). Use a good alkaline lantern battery with the EBC and you can ignite a huge number of Quest Q2G2 igntiers instantly or at least 4 Estes igniters semi-quickly.

You could also use a small portable battery of your choice for even more amperage: gel cell or lead-acid scooter or alarm system battery, 7.2V NiCad R/C battery pack, etc.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjammer53150

PLease don't say "**** ton."
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:35 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Yeah...kleen up the language for all of us here with virgin ears/eyes....

Actually John, I was surprised to see that on this forum even though I don't think anything here expressly forbids it...

Now if this was Newton's 3rd forum, that would be standard fare and quite tame.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Dazed and Confused

Is that a metric measurement?