Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
For 50 bucks, that upscaled neubauer Sky Dagger should come with a cheap R/C system for guidance !!!

The standard sized one is even LESS a bargain at $40.
I cloned mine with Semroc parts for less than $15 plus the decals, which I ink-jet printed.
For a direct-sale price, $40 is NUTS. That is even bonkers if it was in a hobby shop.
I could see a RETAIL sale price at possibly $23-$25 for a REALISTIC profit, but no way $40.

That BT-20 downscale with the different color decals is really neat.

For the guy that seems to know what everything should cost, I dont think you can get a decent set of servos and a receiver for under $50-60 ?

Jim makes a nice kit and I know the stuff comes laser-cut. If you think it costs too much then don't buy it ! You don't have to do a rant on it here in a public forum. A simple too rich for my blood would suffice don't you agree?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
For the guy that seems to know what everything should cost, I dont think you can get a decent set of servos and a receiver for under $50-60 ?

Parkzone receiver/servos brick is $60, and that is name brand gear for the spektrum DSM2 system.

Given that you can get an entire plane with motor, gearbox, battery and transmitter for $80, a $50-60 RBG kit is not out of the question, especially if it were coming directly from China. Probably more likely to be sold assembled and ready to fly though, to maximize the market size.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueyFingers
Further question on the readiboard for the 133%... if I'm leaving the paper on, do I still hinge it with a label on the top surface, for up-only? Or should I be slitting it for glue in hinges?

AstronMike, what did you do on the readiboard R/C BG's where you presumably need bidirectional hinging?

You may just use 2" wide clear tape for the elevator. If you put one piece on the top of the wing/elevator joint, this works for 'up only'. What I usually do is then bend the elevator all the way up and over onto the main wing, and finally do another piece of tape over the edges and 'smoosh' that down. This makes for a joint that is not going anywhere, in fact, this even held up on my most powerful glider of all time, launched back in '96 on a J415.

I have not done anything RC yet, and even when I get to, I dont think I will need the elevator to be bidirectional. The rudder, however, can be double tape jointed as described above. Just make sure to bend it back and forth a lot to get any hysteresis out as a double tape joint does tend to 'favor' one side.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
I have not done anything RC yet, and even when I get to, I dont think I will need the elevator to be bidirectional. The rudder, however, can be double tape jointed as described above. Just make sure to bend it back and forth a lot to get any hysteresis out as a double tape joint does tend to 'favor' one side.

Sorry, had confused your projects with someone else's.

Would assume that an R/C sky dart not having any dihedral would use elevons rather than rudder/elevator, but who knows.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueyFingers
Sorry, had confused your projects with someone else's.

Would assume that an R/C sky dart not having any dihedral would use elevons rather than rudder/elevator, but who knows.

IIRC, George Gassaway's upscale Skydart is R/C. He built an Orbital Transport mother ship to boost it and called it the Orbital Skydart. It should fly the same as a plain upscale Skydart after ejecting the pod.

Google his website. He has a lot of R/C rocket gliders.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I'm getting the urge to put on-hand micro radio gear in one of these, but iffy on chancing it to a rocket launch on any local field. Maybe I'll make a pusher prop electric power pod ;-)
Old 05-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

Here is George's Orbital Skydart RBG project that I mentioned a couple posts ago.

http://homepage.mac.com/georgegassa...ers/OSP/OSP.htm

Onboard video from the Skydart.

http://homepage.mac.com/georgegassa...yDart_video.htm
Old 05-21-2010, 01:56 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Scott, you are surely a comedian !

Why take up boxin' when I can go 3-4 rounds with you guys on YORF ?
It is much more entertaining and stimulating.
Besides, EVERYBODY knows that KIKK-BOXIN' is where it's at !
Regular boxing has been essentially dead for years since the whole UFC/Pride/Muy-Thai Kickboxing revolution took hold.

I was only trying to state that those two kits do not meet what I find to be a good value for my money.
I don't think ANY BT-50 based LPR rocket kit of ANY size is worth anywhere near $40 unless it is a collectible original.
I'm sure the majority (more than 50%) of those here feel the same way; I just happen to have the stones to stand up and say things that are non-PC that others are already thinking.

Would I pay $100+ for an original Sky Dart ?
Yep, I probably would and probably would build the thing too.

What I won't ever do is pay $40 for a collection of parts I was able to piece together for around $15 at retail prices. The convenience of a freakin' bag and instructions are not worth it to me.

To each their own I guess; some people may think it's nuts/bad value to pay $5,000 for a nice watch (Rolex, Breitling, Patek, etc ) that essentially just tells time no better than a $200 Seiko or $40 Timex.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !