Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Gotta link??

RocketReviews.com has an index of Downloadable Paper Rocket Models .

-- Roger
Old 12-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Master Modeler

Or, you could purchase the new K-21 decals from Sandman since he has now added a triple band.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 01-25-2012, 04:33 AM
Master Modeler

I have also remedied the incorrect launch cap on the nose of the Gemini capsule. The simplest way to achieve this while using the wraps is to pre-paint the nose white. I do this after sealing the surface and letting it cure out, then dip the nose into a gloss white paint bottle cap. It goes on a little thick initially, but when dry makes for a nice smooth finish. The wrap for the antennae can needs to be cut down a little, but once applied over the paint makes for a nice clean separation line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_9716.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  754.4 KB  
Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 AM
7/21/61

Beautiful work!

A few questions:

1. What weight of cardstock do you print on?

2. Have you ever printed the wraps onto photo paper? I've never done this but I've read that it works really well and allows for higher resolution graphics.

3. What are you clear-coating these with?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Master Modeler

The capsule wraps, as indeed the adapter wrap, are printed on multi-purpose paper. It is much easier to work with going around the Semroc balsa cone. The are some slight differences in the geometry of the two and the paper accommodates some stretch.

Never used photo paper on this model. I have built some card models using it, but the cost seemed prohibitive.

The model receives a clear coat of Krylon Krystal Kleer. Build up several light coats adds some rigidity to the paper without causing a bleed. The white paper takes on a palevblue tint until the varnish is completely cured. Strange really but it disappears as it finishes drying.

Last edited by jharding58 : 01-31-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Master Modeler

Default Clear fins KILL me!

I confess. If there is one material that I loathe woring with it is ABS. I would gladly pay someone to either figure a way to LC or mill this material to rough shape. It doesn't even have to have a fine edge, I can do that, it just seems that there has to be a more efficient way of cutting this...

Beuhler? Beuhler? Anyone?

If you can filegree cut bond paper surely this material can be managed?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_9738.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  720.2 KB  
Old 01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Old BAR

Mr. Harding,
You do some beautiful work, that's for sure! I have a question: are not the 'portholes' of the interstage supposed to line up exactly under the open rectangles (and where open rectangles would be but cannot due to structure)? In some of the photographs of the real thing, one can actually see straight through to the outside of the rocket here.

When one looks at various offered decals (Estes and aftermarket), the portholes are not lined up as they should be. I have to think that folks have always cut this decal out to include both the portholes and the rectangles as one decal, when it should be two separate ones. Heck, the Sheri's rendition was missing some portholes altogether.

What are your thoughts?

Allen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  515px-Gemini_3.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  54.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Gemini-titan-rocket-kennedy-space-center-100924-02.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  59.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  465px-Gemini-Titan_11_Launch_-_GPN-2000-001020.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  65.7 KB  
Old 01-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Master Modeler

You are absolutlely correct. The interstage on the LV was a lot of wide open spaces. The vents on the interstage are probably the last elements I would go after on the K-21 rendition. The arrangement of the vents is loosely interpreted; also these are tear drop shaped and best represented in the Ton Noteboom paper model - from which I derive the capsule wraps. Even those demonstrate that the original balsa capsule, and the accurate contemporary renditions of the model are a little small. The coning angle of the adapter is also off a little so there are a wealth of issues in the original kit. The K-21 instructions reference only single grouping of tunnels (LL on the original kit)

The current clones are a decent representation of the original model, not of the original launch vehicle. The K-21 instructions position the vents as the contemporary decals represent them. The more accurate rendition, attached, is where I would look for reference to the original LV. That or some of the Gassaway drawings. Strictly by the book, there are 17 teardrop shaped vents at the top of the first stage. The long tunnels align with the center of the interstage structures 180 degress apart. Starting from spacecraft port, they are arranged in a group of five, tunnel, two centered above the national marking, group of seven, tunnel, three singles, the first two of which mirror the opposties above the national marking.

*In thinking it through further you could consider that the vent patterns are the same through 180 degrees with the exception of the first group of seven having one removed (the second). The holes pretty much align the same way. Look at the Ton Noteboom hr update1*

Given that K-21 markings and roll patterns were painted on the model it really is a lot simpler to go with a decal which reflects the intent of the original kit designer when cloning than to become overly aggressive on the level of detail attached to a semi-scale model.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  __hr_update1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  827.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  usaftitan1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  37.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  s64-13534.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  713.0 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf interstage.pdf (61.9 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by jharding58 : 01-31-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Old BAR

Wow, those Ton Noteboom pics are really well-done. I forgot I used them when I did the Sheri's version. I remember looking at those teardrop shapes and thinking, 'no way am I going that far!'
I must be getting old.....er...

Thank-you for the detailed description!
I can't for the life of me remember where I got the idea to use the red verticals.

Allen

Last edited by jetlag : 01-31-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Master Modeler

I suppose you could consider having them LC Into the tube. The problem would be that it weakens the structure. Even the cuts on a BT-55 for the Nike-X are problematic.