Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which type or Scale Model do like like the best
US spaceship 75 63.03%
Foreign spaceship 22 18.49%
US sounding rockets 45 37.82%
Foreign sounding rockets 17 14.29%
US military 53 44.54%
Foreign military 14 11.76%
Movie models 26 21.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Retromaniac

The way the poll was structured I really could give a "good" answer. Personally I consider movie/sci-fi models to be "semi-scale" if they are fictitious and you really can't "count rivets" as the hardcore scale folks do. But they are my favorite. Big surprise eh?
Now real space or military hardware should be dripping with detail. They rank second for my tastes.
But, economically, it would make sense to stick with what have been favorites for decades.
Saturn V & 1B, Little Joe I and II, V2, Pershing, Honest John, Nike Hercules & Ajax, Mercury Redstone, Space shuttle, Vostok, Black Brant, Nike SMoke and numerous others I am too tired to recall.

Maybe one could look at the introduction of modern space hardware, a Maxi Saturn SA-5, Pershing II, Redstone IRBM, Nike Zeus, MLRS, ATACMS, SS-21 Tochka, etc etc....
These could be the classics of the next generation of rockteers.
P.O. Box 250760
North Little Rock AR, 72225

L1 on Pem-Tech Space Ark
at NSL2007

pem_tech (at) Yahoo (dot) com
TRF (at) pembertontechnologies (dot) com
Old 11-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Forest Sprite

Since I was limited to two, I checked the two categories that I have spent the most time researching: US sounding rockets and foreign sounding rockets. I like sounding/research rockets because they are the most understandable and approachable from a modeling standpoint, plus these are the types of rockets that I could actually see myself working on as a member of some project. (But I never have, and likely never will.) Also, of all the scale categories, the launch and flight of scale model sounding rockets most closely resemble the real thing, I think, and I find satisfaction in that part, too.

But to tell you the truth, I could just as easily have picked two other types in this poll. (I know, that doesn't help you much, does it?) I am also fascinated with space launch vehicles from any country. I am still learning about US military rockets, and I find their occasional crazy, wild designs (to facilitate very specific and often quite extreme performance characteristics) utterly intriguing. But it's not all just US military rockets; I also charmed by the missiles from other nations. I know very little about them, so every one that I come across is a surprise.

I do like fantasy-scale rockets from the entertainment world, too, but quite frankly, I find them to be the least understandable type. That's probably because they aren't things that I would ever see in the real world, nor anyone else could ever see, either, because quite a few of them aren't even remotely buildable (for real), let alone even logical. But I don't knock them and I can certainly dream, too. It's just that given the other choices in the poll, this is the type that has the weakest hold on me. The ironic thing is that I do have a genuine fascination with retro sci fi rockets, and I even see echoes of them in some of the real rockets that exist today. In some other type of poll, sci fi rockets could easily be one of my top choices. Big help, aren't I?
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 11-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Master Modeler

Whatever the list, the Maxi-Brute Pershing should be on it.

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Randy,

I've been posting here for many years and have been pretty active this last year with my Nike Hercules and Russian GOA missile builds to name just two.

Estes R&D

Sorry John, sometimes I have to remove my shoes to put 2 & 2 together. I knew you'd been here a while but didn't realize how long. For whatever reason I only noticed the R&D in your sig yesterday.

I think it's safe to say everyone is glad to know you're here and asking for input, and as a part of the hobby too. While I was skeptical at first that there would be much of a change at all at Estes, I have been impressed with the changes and additions to date and I'm glad to have been proven wrong that things would never chage. Verna & I are excited and anxious to see what's to come.

Thanks again!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Wasted away again.......

I'm just happy that someone is asking about what scale models modelers might be interested in. As an old f*rt [54] and one who got into model rocketry in the 60's due to my interest in the space program, scale models have always been closest to my heart.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Master Modeler

Default Fighter Jets?

I would like to see more Fighter Jets much like the Centuri Fighter Fleet.
I have designed a few of my own and I usally get a good response when I go to a launch.
Something different then a 3F&NC rocket.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Master Modeler

Well, I must say the Pershing 1A is one of my favorite missiles of all time, Right up their with the Nike Hercules. In fact I just acquired a Maxi Brute nose cone for one just a couple months ago so I can make myself a model for my collection.

John Boren
Old 11-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Well, I must say the Pershing 1A is one of my favorite missiles of all time, Right up their with the Nike Hercules. In fact I just acquired a Maxi Brute nose cone for one just a couple months ago so I can make myself a model for my collection.

John Boren

Is there a timeframe when the new releases will be out?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:56 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
Is there a timeframe when the new releases will be out?

Sad to say that John's post indicates not to expect a Maxi Pershing rerelease in the near future.

Bill
Old 11-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Master Modeler

I was referring to any new Estes product that was shown in Chicago at the hobby show.