Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Master Modeler

BTW, I've emailed Paul Graf about the scans.

Romie
Old 05-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
BTW, I've emailed Paul Graf about the scans.

Romie

I "think" that Paul only supplied the scans of the plans. I could be wrong. I believe the template scan, parts scan and listed dimensions came from Sean Lannan and Larry Rice. Sean is a frequent visitor here. You could PM him at his handle of SEL. Larry you'd have to contact via email at larryr33323@yahoo.com.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I "think" that Paul only supplied the scans of the plans. I could be wrong. I believe the template scan, parts scan and listed dimensions came from Sean Lannan and Larry Rice. Sean is a frequent visitor here. You could PM him at his handle of SEL. Larry you'd have to contact via email at larryr33323@yahoo.com.

Time for me to chime in here. The copy of the fins and templates that I provided were scanned from a (at least!) second generation photocopy that I obtained from R. Michael Jungclas way-back-when. So, keeping that in mind, along with the fact that that I may have been a little vague about what I was refering to as the "root chord", here's what I have: By "root chord " I meant the part of the fin that is actually glued to the airframe, which measures 2.3". It does not include the part of the fin that flares out at the trailing edge - this adds another ~.5 ". The little thingy that attaches to the airframe at the leading edge measures ot to just under 1.3". This gives us a total length of 4.1". The "tip chord" measures out to ~1.35". Like I said, it's not a great copy, but I can just make out the outline of the printed balsa sheet, and that measures out to close enough to 4" that I'm calling it 4". I'm not sure who supplied the parts scans, but he should be able to help out with th BT lengths.

Sean
Old 05-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Master Modeler

Not all kits in the "Large Scale Rocketry" line had standard-length (e.g., 8" or 22") tubes.

The Explorer had a 20" tube.

The Lil' Hustler almost certainly has a 6" payload tube; clues in the older plan set suggest this.

The remaining question: How long is the main body tube?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The remaining question: How long is the main body tube?

Did you guys pull up the latest PDF from the site for those plans? All the tube lengths are listed on the last page.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-17-2006, 07:35 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Did you guys pull up the latest PDF from the site for those plans? All the tube lengths are listed on the last page.

We must all be suffering from head-crud right now...

I just pulled the PDF from YORP...

15" on the LT-125 (main body tube), and 5 1/2" on the LT-175 (payload body tube). I'd say those come under the heading of "non-standard lengths"...

15.0" + 5.5" + 2.1" + 6.7" + 0.5" = 29.8"...

That's closer to the ballpark than 33" or 35". Thanks for the reminder, Scott...

And we all know those plan sheets were sometimes off a bit with dimensions and relative parts positions...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 05-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Master Modeler

Scott wrote:

Yes. I did see this but with the other problems I found I thought I might try to confirm the tube lengths. I was hoping whoever wrote those sizes down would chime in here and say where they came from.

It doesn't really matter. For a clone of a model that very few people have ever seen, much less taken measurements of, I think I can build with confidence. I just hate finding out later that I was off by a smidge I could have avoided if I'd just asked the question.

Thanks to all who responded.

Romie
Old 05-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Master Modeler

I am pretty sure that the payload section tube is 6" long, not 5 1/2".

The plans (early set) says that the compartment can fit payloads up to 4 1/4" long.

The shoulders of the nose cone and reducer are 5/8" and 1 1/8" respectively.

6" - 5/8" - 1 1/8" = 4 1/4".

My earlier pictorial guesstimate of the main body tube length were based on a 2" launch lug length. Now that I printed out the plans, I see that the Lil' Hustler used 1" launch lugs. I think a 16" or 18" main tube is more reasonable.

I started marking out fins and filling the balsa parts today. I'm using 1/8" basswood and through-the-wall mounting for the fins.

I hope to duplicate the roll bar shown in the 1971 catalog. I doubt it was ever an actual decal, but I think it looks neat.