Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists > WOOSH News
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Out to launch...

Phantastic Phins!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Craftsman

Thanks Chad, Sather!

Holy cats, only a couple more build days before Saturday's event. Time to make some progress.

Let's start with motor mounts assembled into airframes; lots of them. From Left to Right: Sustainers, Sustainer Boosters, Pheasant Phin Boosters, and Pheasant Phin Sustainers.

Now that external motor mounts are complete, time to work on the core of the chaos; what I call the "mother hen". A Flis 4*24 motor mount was assembled into the BT-80 core airframe. The Phin boosters and Sustainer boosters were glued together in pairs.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Craftsman

After the booster pairs were dry, it was time to cluster around the core. In order to get the right circumference, 1/16" square balsa stock was Zap'd into place under the Sustainer boosters and sanded down until the fit was just right. The assembly was mated using one single batch of 15 minute epoxy and masking tape to hold it all together.

Pheasant fins were then tacked to their respective airframes using Zap Med. CA. Joints were filleted using 15 min. epoxy. Yesterday afternoon, I was able to reinforce the fins and airframe joint with scrap 5.7oz carbon fiber and 4 oz E-glass. Consistent with the theme of this project, I used scrap and worked quickly, so it's not beautiful! Time for a bit of a fit up to see how it's all coming together:

And a view from the rear:

At this stage, "Mother Hen" is nearly complete. After the photos were taken, a launch lug was added and short alignment fins were added to the phin boosters to keep the pheasant phins in proper alignment.

Getting closer!

-Eric-
Old 06-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Craftsman

Default More progress

Mother hen is complete. This assembly houses 16 motors...12 in the first stage, 4 in the second.

Now for the nearly complete D.P.D. Two slightly different angles:

Old 06-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Craftsman

The whole assembly has 36 fins! Each sustainer has 6 fins, 4 pheasant phins, and 8 small alignment fins on mother hen. Here's a close up of how they all fit together (between airframes, over nosecones, and through the woods to grandmother's house we go).

Finally filleting! After confirming everything fits as intended, it's time to fillet the 6 sustainer fins.

Here's another shot of the sustainers pre-fillets. The cartoon on the fins is somewhat respresentative of the project's theme.

Time is running short, but the remaining steps are too. I need to paint the sustainers, add noseweight, add whistles, test fly a sustainer, and prep for Saturday's flight!

-Eric-
Old 06-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Wow. I'm impressed
Old 06-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Junior Rocketeer

One question-Is that the nosecone of an Estes "ROCK IT" I see poking out of the booster?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Craftsman

Steve,

Yes sir, that is an Estes Rock-It nosecone; although that's the only part actually stolen from that kit. I think the airframe went to a 2.6" 4*24 cluster Patriot, and the motor mount went to the parts box.

Thanks!

-Eric-
Old 06-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Craftsman

Default Done! (well, mostly)

DPD is done...mostly. I need to prep a LOT of chutes and streamers, otherwise the bird is complete. Here's a pair of photos of the finished product....apologies for the crappy photos, snapped them on the way out the door.

A little closer in, showing the fin area. Note whistles on fin tips, and snacks for the birds and dogs on the bench. Also, several packs of Q2G2 long leads to get the project moving. No time for primer on this project, so the sustainer paint is the worst I've done in probably decades...oh well.

Now to prep the recovery systems and make the drive South to Bong!

-Eric-
Old 06-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Out to launch...

This is gonna be sooooo cool! I wonder if the D. P. will come to watch?!?