Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2011, 12:19 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
Yea, the cool thing about doing a Saturn 1B in such fashion is that you get to have those 8 outer tubes all 'pitch in' on flight loading, plus since they are smaller diameter than the core tube, they are comparatively stronger. In fact, I had strongly considered doing exactly this model for a mega project - but since my craftsmanship skills are on par with GHrocketmans diplomacy/tact level, I'd best refrain from a scale model

As for your last comment, this mirrors what I have been trying to get across for some time. Unless you are doing 'go for broke fast' HPR, then you likely do not need half the 'beef' you think you do, unless you are building a complex scale model that needs to absorb harder landings with no damage.

Come to think of it, wouldnt a Saturn 1B with a 6" core surrounded by 2.6" tank tubes be cool? Hmmm.....

Definitely!!!

Personally I think that OVERBUILDING is one of the most pernicious things that HPR has brought into the hobby... I mean, when we see articles published on glassing a freakin' Estes rocket to make it 'bulletproof" the mindset is DEFINITELY wrong... With the proliferation of higher strength materials available (fiberglass, CF, resins, epoxies, etc) nowdays there's going to be a certain amount of "pull" in that direction anyway, but there's a lot of SERIOUS overkill that goes on that is NOT a good thing... Of course there's a lot of things about HPR that I just don't get and seem pretty irresponsible and just asking for major accident or issues, like bowling ball lofting and other really goofy things... but I guess I should shut up since I'm most definitely in the minority... LOL

At any rate, what *I* think is cool is the ability to make a rocket that's bigger than a lot of "average" HPR birds, yet can fly with MODEL ROCKET motors that don't need certification and waivers to fly-- THAT is truly impressive IMHO... and no, I don't have the skills for it (yet). Seems to me any ape can build a 4 ply fiberglass anti-tank round and shove a big HPR motor in it, but to make something light and strong that can fly as well or better than some HPR birds with only MPR motors, THAT takes SKILLS...

Later! OL JR
Old 07-13-2011, 01:37 PM
7/21/61

Thought I'd post another picture of one of our S1 practice models. This is a picture taken by Emma using Hipstamatic, an app that turns the camera on an iphone into an old fashion instamatic type camera.

I love this pic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  rocket.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  362.8 KB  
Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Very pretty, Steve! Hope I get to see it in action!

Greg
Old 07-13-2011, 05:12 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
He's been working with 1/32 birch ply and rolling some REALLY lightweight and strong tubes with the stuff, down to about BT-80 size-- any smaller and the radius is so tight the plywood wants to pop.

I thought it was 1/64" ply...

Does he still tack the ends of the rings together with CA first or does he use a different technique now?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 07-13-2011, 05:14 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Of course there's a lot of things about HPR that I just don't get and seem pretty irresponsible and just asking for major accident or issues, like bowling ball lofting and other really goofy things... but I guess I should shut up since I'm most definitely in the minority... LOL

But if you are building a giant scale model of a Vertikal anyway, why not?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein

Better than that. You could contact Jim Filler and volunteer for a shift of timer duty to help out the time trials.

Bill

Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Better than that. You could contact Jim Filler and volunteer for a shift of timer duty to help out the time trials.

Bill

I don't dare - I have too many "floaters" in my eyes to try timing or tracking. I am training on the local level as an RSO but I'm not confident enough of my judgement there yet to try it at anything higher than a regional. This is my first time at NARAM (and I'm only gonna be there for Saturday and Sunday, so no competition flying this time around) so I have no idea what to expect. It's all new to me!

Greg
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I thought it was 1/64" ply...

Does he still tack the ends of the rings together with CA first or does he use a different technique now?

Bill

You might be right... it's been about three years since some of our club guys had a get-together over at his place... he's got a LOT of amazing stuff, and it's hard to remember EVERYTHING exactly-- I was impressed with the ultra-lightweight building stuff, and the plywood body tubes, but I was trying to absorb everything he was telling us about the workings of the gimballed motor mounts and horizon-sensing self-guiding finless rockets he'd built... that was just TOO cool...

I don't recall exactly what he was using for glue on the ultra lightweight tubes... I suppose one could ask him on his accur8 website...

Later! OL JR
Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein

Greg

Greg,

Definitely stop by and watch for a bit. FAI stuff is quite different from NAR competition, and very differently constructed from sport rockets. Really unusual looking stuff, all of it ultra lightweight. There are folks building Streamer Duration models that weigh as little as 5 grams (imagine a Big Bertha that weighs the same as a nickel).

The S1 altitude rockets are really fun to watch as well. Bertha size boosters gap staged to a tiny 18mm rocket that flies like an Estes Mosquito. Biggest trick is getting them back. In Serbia most of us used 10 foot long by 1/2" streamers to try to see them coming down.

Very different stuff flown by very nice people. Definitely stop by and say hi.

Steve