Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Old BAR

Duplicolor lacquers, available at auto supply houses, has fantastic high-build up primers and beautiful colors. A little pricey, but well worth it if you want a professional finish. All the above will be useless if you do not fill the grain on the wood (or use paper labels as some here do). Filling spirals on the body tubes is also good if you like going that far. I do for sure.

Apply decals and clear over with Future (now called Pledge) once they are dry. So glossy, you will need sun glasses!

Allen
Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yes, as previously mentioned just about ANYTHING is better than the "new" Krylon. Conditions have to be pretty much perfect and you better be an ace painter to get even decent results out of this stuff... the worst thing IMHO is that it doesn't even like to play nice with Krylon primers and even previous coats, even when religiously following recoat times!

Sorry but I'm not paying good money for crappy paint!

As mentioned, Valspar is a good brand, as is Duplicolor. Rustoleum is okay as well. I've had MUCH better luck with Walmart Colorplace 99 cent a can stuff than the new Krylon, but the colors are very limited and the red primer is no more and the gray primer's getting hard to find, so I'll probably have to switch primers when I run low...

You'll have to experiment a bit and see what works best for you...

Good luck! Later! OL JR

For everyone living with humidity, I sure appreciate your frustration. On the extremely rare day that we have humidity, I do not paint.

Being a big fan of the old Krylon, I was concerned with comments about the new formulation when it came out. But I've found I can get incredible finishes with it, however, it does take a little bit of time to get used to it. I am sure that the biggest factor for me is the dry climate in Colorado. I follow the instructions of doing multiple light coats a few minutes apart, with my last coat being a little heavier, to get a good, wet finish. I then usually let it dry for several days before handling.

Also, by far, the best primers I've found are Plastikote, and Duplicolor. Both build well, and dry fast, and sand easily. I had to go to the Plastikote website to find dealers, since it seems like fewer places carry it now. And I used to find Duplicolor at Walmart, and now I think I'd have to go to an auto parts store. I hated the old formula Krylon primer, and really feel no reason to try the new formula, since Plastikote and Duplicolor work so well.

As far as other paints, I really like Rustoleum Lacquer, but you have to love red, black, and white. But I have found it compatible with the Testors and Model Masters lacquers. I used to get the Rustoleum Lacquer at Hobby Lobby, but our local stores stopped carrying it. I guess it is time to go back to the web to see where it is being sold.

UPDATE: I was just at Home Depot, and they carry the Rustoleum Lacquers.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 07-20-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Master Modeler

ibid LeeR

Also I have this document from who knows when.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Paint Questions.pdf (22.5 KB, 103 views)
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

That is a pretty good overview of the different paint formulations. Thanks for posting.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain26
Since delclaring myself a BAR and building several rockets since renewing my love of rocketry, I've strived for better finishs on models. The rockets I built as a young boy were built to fly, not be pretty! My problem since returning is paint finish. I've been using rattle can Krylon for all my rockets, primer and finish coat. In the last couple of weeks I've gotten a can of primer that was cloudy water at best and a can of gloss banner red that was glossy, satin, flat and some other unGodly coat all in one spraying! I'm not a bad painter, I know good technique and spray in multiple light coats, not heavy runny disasters. I've seen many great looking models in the project forums, what's your secrets? Are there better rattle can paints available or is it necessary to have an air brush for stunning finishes? I really don't want to invest in expensive guns/accessories. Thanks for any advice!
As mentioned, you're getting blushing. As the solvent molecules in the paint evaporate, they absorb heat thereby cooling the air around them. (Recall "heat of vaporization" from chemistry or physics.) If the dew point is high - ie, if it's a hot, humid, summer day - the rapidly cooling air will cause the humidity therein to condense...in your paint This is what causes the dull finish.

Paints with hot solvents - ie, "lacquers" - tend to do this the worst. This includes many "fast drying enamels" such as the old Krylon. (It's really more of a lacquer.) Other paints, such as Duplicolor, Plastikote and old RustOleum Painter's Touch will all be more prone to blushing. Some of these are labeled as lacquers while the others are called enamels, but if they use the hotter "fast drying" solvents, they're gonna be more prone to blushing.

I've had great luck with the RustOleum premium line ("Stops Rust") here in north Texas. It stands up well (except for the black; don't know why). I've used Valspar black with good success here.

The RustOleum premium is much slower drying. But if you can wait overnight, you'll get a very satisfying result. In my case, I bring them in the house after applying the final coat, and they're dry to the touch by morning.

Here's a shot of some RustOleum red that I was very pleased with. (No clear topcoat was applied.)

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 07-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain26
Well, if humidity can be a factor, I'm out of luck right now! I live about 30 miles south of Atlanta, GA - this time of year, the air is THICK! I'll have to give the rubbing compound a try, sounds promising. Here lately, to cover up the blotchy paint jobs, I just shoot the model with flat after applying decals. Seems to hide most of the problem but would like a nice glossy model occasionally!

Yep, I'm over in Augusta (but lived my first 8 years of life in the Morrow/Forest Park area) and this time of year is about hopeless as far as gloss paint application goes. Humidity is just awful.

You can do primer coats and flats, but that's probably gonna be about it. I've got several models in the build que that are primered out and sanded and ready for final finish coats, but that's gonna be October weather work.....and late October at that unfortunately.

In these type climates an indoor paint booth would be the ticket for sure and one day I'm gonna set one up.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Retired BAR!

You're right Earl, lately it's like living in a sauna! Applied decals last night to the SBB, hope to get the flat on later today (between thunderstorms!).

Again, thanks to all for the great advice and paint tips! I have several auto stores and Home Depot/Lowes near where I live so I'll check out some of the suggested paint products. I've got a SEMROC Defender close to final paint and now plan on using one of the suggested formulas. Being all white with some black details, should be able to find the right colors. I'll post pics and results when completed.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Currently here in Michigan it's freakin' miserable out!

High of 99 degrees today with the humidity well over 90%.

My concrete floor being cooler is actually damp!

OK, my dogs love that part!

I worked out in my "un-airconditioned" shop yesterday and had to change my soaking wet shirt 3 times!

NO PAINTING today!

The only good thing was using Gorilla glue. It cures with moisture and I didn't need to use any water to wet one part to be glued.

I just wiped it on my forehead (yea, gross).

The blushing in the paint on high humidity days is from the relative rapid cooling of the spray paint.

The paint in the can is the same temperature as the outside air but, when it sprays out it rapidly expands which means that the same amount of heat in the paint is now occupying a much larger volume. That's basically how an air conditioner/refrigerator works.

You can experience this with spray on deodorant. It's always cold when the spray hits your pits. Exactly the same thing!

The abrupt drop in temperature causes the high humidity in the surrounding air to condense.

The condensed moisture on the paint surface is what causes the blushing.

Most light colors get a flat finish from this blushing but dark colors really get crappy! Cloudy, rainbow effect...not pretty!

The only cure is to refinish on a dryer day.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Old BAR

All of the above humidity complaints are why I prefer to paint in air conditioning. Here in Columbia, the heat index today will be around 115F with an air temp of 103F. If I waited until conditions were right, I'd have to wait until Fall/Winter to get any painting done.
You folks need to go to the Wally Fart and buy an air conditioner for your shop. You'll be glad you did.
Gordy, I can't believe you have not done that already!

Allen
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
You folks need to go to the Wally Fart and buy an air conditioner for your shop. You'll be glad you did.
I have one, Allen. But I can't get a good seal on my door so it rapidly warms up when I turn it off. And I don't want to leave it running while I'm spraying - I don't want all that overspray circulating into the filters and clogging them up.

I've studied what it takes to seal the door, but I think the real problem is that the driveway is crowned in the middle which causes gaps at either end of the door-to-ground junction. So it's not so simple as adding a new rubber to the bottom of the door

But the AC's good for working in the garage. It at least makes it bearable.

Doug

YORF member #11