Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Great to finally meet Bill in person (and Mr. Poehlien as well). As Bill has reported, some fine product displayed under the Big E tent. The Asteroid Hunter has a very impressive built up construction that I think will be a lot of fun to build; clearly a builder's kit.

That Odyssey nose cone (and for that matter, the "Orion" cone on the Asteroid Hunter) is from new tooling, and it's very noticeable in the sharpness of the detail and the very subtle seam lines. They've done a very good job with these new nose cones. Definitely a company that's listening, and trying to respond to the hobbyist. Well done Estes!

The other item I'll report is that there were very strong clues in the presentation made during this evening's Vendor's Forum that we can expect a re-release of the Pershing (at least that's what I interpreted from the clues). Again, well done Estes.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on that NC to clone an Odyssey. The Pershing re-release is good news. I have an original that's hanging from my ceiling, retired. I'd like to get hold of another and mod it with a removable motor mount. It's underpowered on a single D12-3, so I'd like to have the option for a triple C6 cluster for small fields and 24mm E/F APCP for larger ones. (I have no desire to go 29mm, yet GH will probably chime in that it needs a 38mm mount! )
Old 07-24-2011, 02:54 AM
Flying since 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
(snip) (I have no desire to go 29mm, yet GH will probably chime in that it needs a 38mm mount! )

I think he would want to fly it 98mm motors. 54mm motors at the minimum.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Pickin' and launching.

A friend of mine and I were walking down vendors row and had just checked out some of the Estes new stuff, when we saw the new big Mosquito take offf. I'm watchiing John chasing it down to see how far it drifts and just talking about the new kits, not paying much attention, when "BAM" a rocket hits me in the head.

Yes, it was I that got whacked in the head mentioned earlier in this thread. Just another day in the life of a rocketeer.

I think everyone will like the new Estes stuff. At the Manufacturers Forum John talked about many new things. He said he got the O.K. to do a large scale kit for use with the new Aerotech made motors. He hinted around. Maybe a Nike Smoke but, I don't know for sure.
NAR #28062, ROCI Section #625
http://www.newwayspacemodels.com
http://www.indyrockets.org
NewWay Space Models-We Cornered Model Rocketry
Old 07-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

The upcoming Asteroid Hunter.

Asteroid Hunter belly shot.

Asteroid Hunter shell with nose and tail cone. (Sorry. I adjusted this one, but it didn't take.)

John models the Asteroid Hunter shell. Didn't see this one fly. Yet.

MUST HAVE NOW!!!!!

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC
Old 07-24-2011, 10:39 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Rocket
A friend of mine and I were walking down vendors row and had just checked out some of the Estes new stuff, when we saw the new big Mosquito take offf. I'm watchiing John chasing it down to see how far it drifts and just talking about the new kits, not paying much attention, when "BAM" a rocket hits me in the head.

Yes, it was I that got whacked in the head mentioned earlier in this thread. Just another day in the life of a rocketeer.

I think everyone will like the new Estes stuff. At the Manufacturers Forum John talked about many new things. He said he got the O.K. to do a large scale kit for use with the new Aerotech made motors. He hinted around. Maybe a Nike Smoke but, I don't know for sure.

Man, you got away so fast that I didn't get a chance to introduce myself. I just happened to look up because I heard you say something and I thought it might have been directed at me. I think I remember hearing the horn go off and people behind me shouting, but I also think that it was only a second or two before impact, so you'd have had to have been almost staring at the rocket to have had a chance to dodge it. Glad that there was no damage to your head. There were a lot of kids around, so you can always say you threw yourself into the path of a speeding rocket to save them. Also glad that I was able to curb my tendency to blurt an F-bomb in that situation. Maybe I'm growing up after all. If you're around at all the rest of the week, stop by the shelter and say hello. I have range duty today, Thursday and Friday.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

I am so depressed that I cant be there right now, it sounds like it's gonna be a banner year for NARAM. I just hope it's close by next year..

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC
Old 07-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
L to R: Asteroid Hunter, Mosquito upscale, Zarconian Cruiser, Hi-Flier upscale, Maxi-Alpha 3, forgot the name of this one.

One of our members flew a prototype Asteroid Hunter at our last couple of launches. It's a cool looking kit, but it may not be ready for prime time quite yet. With an 18 mm motor mount it is underpowered on a C6-3. Also the offset launch lug can cause it to bind on the rod, and it's a bit too heavy for an 1/8 inch rod. Hopefully with a little redesign the launch lug/rod problem can be fixed, by giving it a couple of 3/16 inch lugs placed closer to the thrust center line. If it can be modified to take a 24 mm motor that would be great, but if not then this model will be a good rocket to make use of composite D's.

Jonathan
-----
Jonathan Sivier
jsivier AT illinois DOT edu
NAR #56437 | Tripoli #1906
Home Page: http://www.sivier.me/
CIA Web Site: http://www.CIARocketry.org/
Old 07-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSivier
Also the offset launch lug can cause it to bind on the rod, and it's a bit too heavy for an 1/8 inch rod. Hopefully with a little redesign the launch lug/rod problem can be fixed, by giving it a couple of 3/16 inch lugs placed closer to the thrust center line.

We made several prototype kits with generally pyramid shapes and had similar experiences. We ended up putting 1/4" launch lugs (our primary size) near the motor mount or core tube depending on what you want to call it. They still suffer from low static stability and even adding considerable mass with a resin nose cone doesn't help much in a cross-wind.

Jerry
Old 07-24-2011, 05:02 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Rocket

His actual words were diamond shaped fins and a long nose cone.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhemi1971
I am so depressed that I cant be there right now, it sounds like it's gonna be a banner year for NARAM. I just hope it's close by next year..
+1. My thoughts exactly!
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011