Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflysch
I was recently looking for a different brand of filler to see if that would would, and saw this...

It's extremely light and says it dries for sanding in a couple of hours. I bought a small tub to try on my next build. Maybe it'll work.

That stuff is going to create a ton of dust. It's kinda like drywall compound and if you've ever sanded drywall, well, you should know.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 09-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflysch
I'm new enough in this that I'm still experimenting to find what I like the best. I've used a couple of different balsa fillers, bondo, and just primer alone. For the spirals, I think that the Bondo is my favorite, though I have to make sure I've got good ventilation while using it. For balsa, it seems that with the different fillers, even after several coats, it doesn't look significantly better than when I just use primer alone. In fact, the last build I filled, sanded, and repeated 4 times. It looked nice and smooth naked but when I sprayed the primer, I could still see all the grains (not as bad as if I hadn't done anything mind you, but I still ended up using two coats of primer to smooth it out).

I'm leaning toward primer only as well, it just seems more efficient to me. I was recently looking for a different brand of filler to see if that would would, and saw this...

It's extremely light and says it dries for sanding in a couple of hours. I bought a small tub to try on my next build. Maybe it'll work.

Did you ever get to try this stuff out? I got a tub of this as well and have used it for filling holes in walls prior to painting and just love it. Contrary to what DaveR said IMHO it didn't make that much dust at all. (Compared to drywall anyway)

First chance I get I will try it out and let my results be known. I have a feeling tho that it may be bit "course". At least when compared to products like bondo.

ps. By the way hello everyone! Looks like my 1st post, tho I swore I've posted before!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Craftsman

Hi everyone., newbie here...first post.

Some good info in this topic. I was wondering on what folks think of gluing paper on the balsa fins as a alternative to dope or primer. I used this technique for the first time on my last build and it worked pretty good. I am just recently back into the model rocket hobby after about a 30 year hiatus so I feel like I am starting over. This forum has been a great resource for many questions I've had. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble29

Some good info in this topic. I was wondering on what folks think of gluing paper on the balsa fins as a alternative to dope or primer. I used this technique for the first time on my last build and it worked pretty good. I am just recently back into the model rocket hobby after about a 30 year hiatus so I feel like I am starting over. This forum has been a great resource for many questions I've had. Thanks!
Gluing paper on is fine, but you'll still need filler and primer to finish it - just not as much.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble29

Welcome back

Gunner
NAR 18493
Old 09-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Craftsman

Thanks fellas! I appreciate the comments!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Master Modeler

I've just tried the primer only routine on a Big Bertha build and it seems (so far) to be working out. We'll see.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Primer IS the cure-all for sealing/filling balsa.
The ALL-Inclusive list of acceptable balsa primers includes Dope-based Balsa Fillercoat and Dope-based Sanding Sealer.
END of List !

I generally shoot one light coat of lacquer based auto-primer over the entire rocket before topcoating with dope, lacquer, or enamel now as it masks any little imperfections and gives the paint better "bite" to the substrate. I never did that back in the 70's or 80's.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Master Modeler

Back in the 80s I never used primer either, just balsa sealers. I think for old times sake I am going to try this on one of my builds. The primer method works great with less effort, but I do miss the smell of Aerogloss.